Angels In Disguise



Year 2001. Only a few days were left for my college admission. I had made up my mind to go for engineering. There was no second thought about it. My Dad is an engineer, half of my family members are engineers, and engineers are cool. But then one day, when I went to my music class, I met this woman.

Usually my class was the first class on my music teacher's schedule, but that day another lady had come before me. When I entered, my Guruji introduced me to her. He said that she missed a class last week so she came today just to make up for that class. She must have been 22-23 year old. She was an extremely elegant and poised woman. I found her very beautiful. The way she talked, the way she carried herself was rare.

She told me that she was an Ayurvedic physician working in a hospital close by. There was something about her that nudged at my heart, and I decided that I want to be an Ayurvedic physician. Sounds crazy, right? It is crazy. My total encounter with her was barely five minutes and then she left, but that small interaction completely changed the direction of my life.

I never met her after that. I don't remember her name. I don't remember her face either, but I still remember how she made me feel. She is the perfect example of God-sent angels- Farishtey.

These angels come to your life for endless good reasons, to turn you into the right direction, to uplift you from the negativity, to reduce the heavy burden from your heart, to make you feel good about yourself, to inspire you, to make you smile....and so on..

One permanent angel I am blessed with is my daughter. Her mere presence in my life makes life worth living. When I am sick, she turns into my mother. She'd rub Vicks all over my face with her tiny fingers and then she'd cover me up with a blanket. Then she'd say- "Now you'll feel better." Then before leaving the room she'd say in an authoritative tone- 'Don't get up from the bed. You need to rest, okay Mamma?' When I am sick, I feel like I have two mothers.

After living with many different types of people for the last decade and a half, I have realized one thing that my Mom is the best person to live with. No expectations, no drama, no negativity, only unconditional love. I can blissfully say that I live with two angels.

I often tend to focus on all the negatives, but these farishtey make you see the beauty of the situation.

When I moved to Hyderabad, I was given a team of 300 emotional Indians who had completely different work ethics and mindset. I was getting frustrated with the endless drama every day. During these difficult days, my boss listened to my constant whining patiently and guided me through this new work environment. I'd have failed miserably in my new job if I didn't have him there to guide me, support me and encourage me.

Some people are like the lamp from the story- Birbal's Khichdi. They may not be a close part of your life, but even from a distance, they give you the warmth and the courage to overcome all the struggle in life.

Human life is full of possibilities. We may not be able to change the whole world, but we can make it a better place by doing one simple thing. Just be nice to each other. You may not realize but your one smile can brighten up someone's day. Your one compliment can boost someone's confidence. Your one call can  save someone from loneliness. Your positive attitude can give someone the courage to fight their battles.

Be that angel in someone's life. After all, this is all that would matter on your last day..


Comments

Popular Posts