A Short Story : Unspoken Words




Priya locked her office after a long day at work.

She took a lazy walk to the parking lot. As soon as she stepped outside, a fresh breeze of monsoon filled her with an immediate energy. It was still drizzling a little bit. She looked around as she walked toward her car. The clean, moist surrounding brought a little smile to her face. She took a deep breath and moved her gaze from the mountains to find her car. She stopped short as she saw Samarth standing in front of her car, looking at her with his infectious smile.

Priya was pleasantly surprised, she rushed toward Samarth and gave him a hug. 

"Have you come here to yell at me?"- She whispered in his ear. 

Samarth laughed in response and shook his head. Priya had figured out that her parents had told Samarth about her decision, and as always, as their final straw, had asked Samarth to persuade her to come back home.

Both of them drove to Priya's house. Samarth had never been there before. It was a small house in a village with a big front yard, where Priya had planted some roses and jasmine.

Samarth watched Priya making coffee for him without saying much. Priya was wearing a white salwar kameez with red bandhani dupatta, her face was glowing of peace and content. Samarth noticed how Priya had changed from being a headstrong rebel to a quiet fighter. She had never looked so pure and poised.

Priya and Samarth sat in the chairs in her front yard. The rain had finally stopped and the evening chimes of birds made the ambiance heavenly. Priya was telling Samarth about her day-to-day work at Arth Foundation.

"We are planning to reach the adjacent 43 villages by the end of this year. That would make our initiative reach to 20,000 more people." - Priya said with her matured enthusiasm.

"What are you doing next year?" - Samarth asked.

"Next year, we are opening a satellite office in the east and plan to replicate what we have done here." - Priya added.

"I meant what are you doing about your life next year?" - Samarth's voice was now blazed by his signature sternness that came from his army training.

Priya had always feared this voice, but today, even though she understood the hidden intention of this question, she wasn't scared. She looked away at the flowers for a moment. Samarth didn't move his gaze away from her. He patiently waited for her answer.

"Now, this is my life Samarth. I don't have any plans separated from Arth." - Priya declared, hoping Samarth would understand what she was trying to say.

None of them spoke for what seemed like eternity. Their silence spoke to each other, and Samarth got answers to a lot of his questions during that silence. Samarth loved Priya, but refused to marry her because his priority was his job as a soldier in Indian Army. He wanted Priya to marry someone who would always be there for her. But ever since he learned from Priya's parents that Priya had decided to not marry at all, and had moved to a small village to serve underprivileged children and women, Samarth was experiencing a strong urge to be with her, and not let her go.

"This is insane, Priya. I thought you had moved on." - Samarth sounded a little disappointed.

"This has nothing to do with you, Samarth. I want to do this for the rest of my life." - Priya said.

"What if I told you I want to marry you ?" - Samarth asked.

Priya skipped a heartbeat. She could tell he was not saying this to change her mind about spending her life serving the underprivileged people of India. He wasn't changing his priority to convince Priya to change hers. His gaze had never been so soft, his voice had never been so loving before.

"Samarth..!!" - Priya muttered.

"I have come to take you with me, Priya. Will you marry me, please?" - Samarth's voice still stern with a hint of pleading.

"Samarth, You know that a year ago, I would have done anything to hear these words from you, but I have changed. My expectations from life have changed and I know I will not regret my decision. I will always love you but I can't marry you."

"So are you saying everyone in Arth Foundation is unmarried?" - Samarth had planned all arguments beforehand. He knew how stubborn Priya was.

"No. It's my own decision. It's not a protocol. I want to have complete freedom and autonomy to be able to do this work. I know you would not ask me questions or have any expectations from me, but I will feel obligated to be a "good wife". And I can't be a good wife and serve the people the way I want to serve both at the same time, even though I know you would support me in every way. I want you to have the perfect life partner, not someone who would put her marriage on the back burner."

That was the end of their conversation. Samarth didn't try to argue anymore.

"You know that I will still wait for you, right?" - Samarth's eyes were a little moist by now.

"I know. And it will give me the strength to carry on with this work." - This was the hardest thing Priya ever had to do.

Samarth got up to leave after a few minutes. When he was about to get into his car, Priya said: "Samarth, wait..I forgot to tell you something."

Samarth stopped to look at her and said - "Happy Valentine's Day!"

Priya just smiled in return, reaffirming the fact that Samarth could still understand her unspoken words. 

Samarth started his car and drove off. Priya kept looking at the car, until it disappeared from her sight. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts