Love, Respect & Trust



Love, Respect and Trust. - These are the three things that you cannot force anyone to give you, you have to earn them.

As a kid, I was very protected by my Dad. Apparently,  I was born  seven years after my parents got married. I was a miracle child. My Dad was always protective of all three of us. However, I have some vivid memories of my father protecting me.

When I was seven, a neighbor's dog attacked me and scratched me with his nails while I was playing. It was a very big dog, and his name was Saddam, and he looked exactly like Saddam Hussein, I am not kidding. He was a very scary dog. I was still shaking of fear when my Dad came home from work. He saw the scratches on my body and left the house with a long sharp tool that he used to cut tree branches in our garden.

His eyes were red with anger. He said- "I will kill that dog today."

The dog owners saw him come and shut the door as they figured what he was up to with this Dhariyu in his hands. My Dad slammed on the door and screamed- "Let the dog out or I will break in." He said it with such conviction that they opened the door slightly and pushed the dog out. The dog knew what was happening and he looked as scared of my Dad as I was of him a few hours ago . My Dad lifted the long Dhariyu to attack his neck but it hit the roof of the stairs. The big thud brought my Dad back to his senses and he saw the dog pleading for his life. My Dad didn't make the second attempt and returned home.

I am glad he didn't make the second attempt. Needless to say Saddam never even came close to me after that incident.

There are many stories like this of my Dad. I grew up believing that he can do anything. Nothing is impossible for him. I knew I could always rely on him for anything and everything, and he never disappointed me and he never broke that trust. He has a solution for every problem.  I have never seen him worried or helpless or tired or scared. He has accomplished the toughest tasks that I thought no one could accomplish. He is respected by not only me but my entire family and the entire community. I cannot stand anyone criticizing him (except my Mom, she has all the rights !!).

I grew up believing that all men are like my Dad. Or at least, all men must be like my Dad. A man must protect and provide for his family. I cannot stand a man who is a loser. In my mind, it's okay for a woman to be a loser, but men can't. (Talk about gender equality, huh! :P) But to be honest, I have seen more men losers than women losers. I get even more irritated when such loser thinks he is entitled to everyone's respect in the family just because he is a man.

I am not a feminist type. I truly believe that the man must be the head of the family. However, he must not get this title just because he is a man. He has to earn this title.

I will end with my favorite Father's Day quote:

"Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad."




  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts