Being Honest...

 

I recently watched the movie 'Satyakam', which reminded me of the story I am about to tell you.

Once upon a time (I always wanted to start a story with this phrase!), I was going somewhere in a car with my Dad and my uncle (my Dad's younger brother) in Amdavad. During those days, my uncle used to work at the income tax office in Amdavad. I was very young at that time but I used to love to listen to their conversations. My uncle was telling my Dad about this company that he recently inspected during his raid. I don't recall the exact conversation but it went something like this -

I was the lead of the raid and we checked all the documents and the accounts of this company. After a long search, we identified that there was a tax theft of about Rs.1.5 crore (and this is about fifteen years ago. Indians can make a world record in tax theft). I notified the company owner and told him that he is supposed to pay this amount to the income tax department by so and so date and started preparing the official notice. This company owner and his sidekicks started to butter me and offered me a huge bribe. I rejected it and continued to prepare the notice. They were trying so hard to convince me to decrease the tax amount and calling me "Saheb, Saheb", but I didn't budge.

At last, they took the final shot to entice me by saying- Saheb, you are such a bright and honest person. We would be honored to have you work for our company. We would pay you double the salary that you are getting from the income tax department right now.

My uncle said- No, thanks.

The company owner said- Why not?

My uncle looked at him and responded- "Because right now you are calling me 'Saheb', and if tomorrow I work for you, I will have to call YOU 'Saheb', which I refuse to do."

His response is still engraved on my mind. It is not that my uncle does not value or need money. He just values his conscience more than money.

Corruption is rampant in India. People no longer frown upon it. People have just accepted that it is what it is. Stealing is not just sneaking into somebody's pocket and taking their money. The broad definition of stealing is taking anything for free. There is a saying in America- 'There is no such thing as free lunch.' We always pay for everything we get. When we accept something for free, or cheat or lie to someone for money, we are selling a part of our conscience which is priceless but not everyone understands the value of this priceless possession just because it is intangible unlike money.

The problem is though no one wants to admit that they are not honest, including me. Everyone thinks very highly of themselves. In fact, corrupt people try harder to project themselves as (self) righteous people and justify their dishonesty when get caught.

One time I shared this story of my uncle with someone and they told me - 'I would have done the same.' And I am thinking- 'Yea, right! You see a ten-rupee bill lying on the street, and you bend over to pick it up and put it in your pocket, and you are telling me that you would have done the same. At least be honest enough to admit your dishonesty. '

You must be thinking- 'Well, what are YOU doing about corruption in India? Easy for you to say all these things sitting in America.' - Yes, you are right. I am not doing anything about it and not planning to do any movement like Anna Hajare, because at the end of the day, only you can determine if you are honest or not in every single moment of your life. You have to be your own police, no amount of Anna Hajares can change the whole country unless everyone learns to be honest to themselves. The truly honest person chooses to be honest in every situation, including those, when no one is ever going to find out if they were dishonest or not.

I am not doing anything about the corruption. Except, when I hear such stories about my Dad, my grandfather, my great-grand father and my uncles, I get inspired and try to be honest like them. This also makes me realize that my kids will also look up to me and adopt my behavior and virtues, which prevents me from committing any unethical behavior. (Your kids have more powers than your parents to make you a better person.)

Just like charity, honesty begins at home. The biggest property one can leave for their kids is the virtue of honesty. If I succeed to make myself and my child honest, I will have the satisfaction that at least I made efforts to have two less corrupt people in the world.

Comments

Popular Posts